Everyone in the house, except for Daddy, started at a new school this year. Mommy went back to teaching and is at Austin High again. Claire is a big girl who just began Kindergarten at Hill Elementary, and little Miss Harper began pre-school at Hyde Park Baptist. All of us are adjusting and enjoying our new schools. All of us are happy and also still have some fears. But, we are all in great places where we will thrive and grow. Change and growth are good things for all of us. I didn't expect to cry at all about our changes; they are the natural part of raising children and living our lives. All of the changes are ones we wanted and hoped would happen.
I promised myself that I always want to enjoy each stage and that I did not want to mourn what has passed, and I never expected to be filled with sadness when Claire started Kindergarten. After all, I am honestly and truly 100% happy for her and I know that she is ready to learn and be a big girl. She loves it and has been off to a great start. But, it has been mountains of tears for Mommy every morning as I watch her walk into assembly or drive off in the car with Daddy as they are headed to school. (Don't worry, I don't let Harper or Claire see me cry.) Harper LOVES Hyde Park! She loves her new friends, the new playscape, the trips to chapel, the music class, the baby center, the cafeteria, etc... She is really happy! I knew she would be, but each day that she heads off to school, I cry. I am not unstable, I swear. And, I don't think I am crying tears of sadness. I haven't quite figured out yet what all the tears are about, and I'm not sure I ever will. The good news is that, as each new day passes and each of us adjust and grow, the tears are less frequent. I love my job as a teacher and I am proud of what I do. I think some of the tears come from a place of guilt that I am not home all day with my children, but I am proud that I am showing them that it is okay to follow their own personal passions. I think I struggle that the clock is ticking so quickly and they are growing up. I struggle when Claire tells me while we are snuggling together at bed time that "she really missed me today while she was at school." I struggle each morning when Harper asks "to have a play day." I am proud of my little munchkins and I love being their Mommy. I am happy that they love their new schools and I am blessed to be back at mine. So, here's to hoping the tears stop soon and here's to school being off to a good start! Overall, the first few weeks of school = OPERATION SUCCESS!!
 |
| Claire searching the class rosters for her name. She is in Mrs. Scace's class! |
Mrs. Scace sent each student on a scavenger hunt around the classroom to find all the important places - their backpack hook, the bathroom, their assigned seat, the place where they put their school supplies, the reading rug, the class calendar, America on the globe, etc... Claire had a blast with it. I was so impressed with Mrs. Scace's creativity in showing each student the important things in her classroom.
 |
| Claire and I on the scavenger hunt at Meet the Teacher |
 |
| She found her backpack hook! |
 |
| She had each family sit one at a time in her reading chair and took pictures of us. Brilliant! |
 |
| Harper's 1st day at Hyde Park. She is ready to conquer the world! Look at that sass. |
 |
| Walking Claire into Hill on her 1st day of school. She looks a little nervous, and Miss Harper is full of her sweet sassiness. |
 |
| The Hill Armadillo! |
 |
| Mommy and Claire at her assigned seat. If you look carefully, you can tell that my eyes are full of tears. I didn't want Miss Claire to see these tears so Mommy hauled shortly after this picture was taken. |
 |
| Daddy and the girls on the 1st day of school! |
No comments:
Post a Comment